Today is my 27th birthday. Last night, I honored myself by making black-bottom cupcakes. It took me 27 years, but I finally baked cupcakes from scratch.
In honor of being only three years shy of 30, I’ve put together a list of 27 things you may not know about me. Birthdays are the perfect excuse to remember the past and be self-absorbed for a minute. Don’t you think?
1. I never eat cake batter while baking. But last night, I did.
2. When I was barely two years old, I drove a car for the first time. I put the gear shifter into reverse from my car seat.
3. For the past several months, I’ve had no desire for fruit.
4. When I was young, my friend Becky and I used to perform radio shows. Tiffany always topped the charts.
5. I got a tattoo during Spring Break 2005 in Alabama.
6. My first name isn’t Rose.
7. I didn’t really take an art class until graduate school.
8. I’ve never had a manicure, pedicure or massage.
9. I am terrified of open closet doors. When I was a kid, I would make my father double check for robbers, ghosts or spirits every night before I fell asleep.
10. I was 15 when I had my first kiss. It was near a bridge.
11. I chew ice obsessively. Sometimes, I worry about it. Mostly my teeth.
12. I rarely change my bedsheets. I’m really aiming to change that (just bought new ones!)
13. I hate showering. I do it every day, but I don’t enjoy it like most people. I just want to be ready already.
14. I got straight D’s in Geometry.
15. I’ve never taken a sick day at my current job.
16. I hate summer clothing. Therefore, I really don’t like summer.
17. I studied at Cambridge University in England for a summer. It was not hot there, and I liked it.
18. I drink exactly 12 ounces of coffee every morning, usually iced.
19. Sometimes I don’t like running at all. Sometimes, it’s all I feel like doing. Either way, I still think I’m a runner.
20. I was voted “Most Respected” in the Senior Superlatives in high school. Ha.
21. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
22. Once in a while, I wonder why I got a cat. Then Scone looks curious and cute and rubs up against my leg, and I remember.
23. I worry too much about what people think of me.
24. I cheated my way through Math 101 online in undergrad.
25. I listen to this station in the car, KISS FM (96.1). It’s so terrible. It’s the worst music that could be playing, and I tap my feet to it.
26. My first concert was Kenny Chesney, for free, in a field somewhere in western Pennsylvania.
27. I’ve felt like I was 27 since April. I always round up.
Happy Birthday, to me.