choosing the chocolate {an announcement}

Last week, I baked two different kinds of banana bread. The first was your basic, stand-by-you, classically delicious banana bread. And the other was that same classically delicious mix but – aha! –  reincarnated with the addition of some mini chocolate chips.

Unsurprisingly, coworkers went immediately for the chocolate-infused baked good.

This dichotomy of bread came at a good [metaphoric] time in my life. Around the same day I baked this bread, I was faced with a major decision:

• Do I stay at my current job (with coworkers I love but little room for advancement or growth)? OR
  • Do I move on to a more challenging, higher paying position at a reputable institution?
See, I was offered a job on my birthday. An amazing job. A writing position at the University of Pittsburgh that fits better with my goals. A position that would challenge me on a daily basis to write clean, understandable language for a common-person readership. A position that includes tuition remission, a retirement plan and amazing benefits. A position that closely mirrors what I did (and loved) in Baltimore/DC. Did I mention it’s more money, too?

Sure, given all of that information – it should seem like a no brainer. But the facts are that I do enjoy my regular banana bread lifestyle right now. I like having a more flexible schedule. I like laughing and eating lunch with my coworkers. I like that they are passionate about our mission.

However, the simple truth is that I’ve seen my skills weaken over the past year. Press releases got harder to write. I was so busy making website updates and assisting with mailings that I was losing site of my goals of being a writer. And for a while, that felt okay because I was helping out the cause. But in letting go – I released my own desires to better succeed as a writer.

So, like my coworkers – I decided to choose the chocolate chip life. I’m choosing what’s best for me. It doesn’t mean that I won’t miss the non-profit world, or the people I work with. I’m just in a place where I need to prepare for the future. I’m at an age where I want to challenge myself every single day. I’m at a true beginning – just like I felt when I was 22 and stepping foot onto the DC metro to ride to work for the first time. I’m ready to settle into a challenging day-to-day routine that gives me enough money, energy and time to also spend with the people I love.

It’s time for me to strap on my big-girl-pants and start getting up early again. I’m looking forward to the change and settling that comes thereafter.

Categories: Binding Experiences, Thoughtful

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

13 Comments on “choosing the chocolate {an announcement}”

1. Kelly
    September 14, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Congratulations on making the big decision! I really enjoyed both this post and the one directly before it about the tarot reading. Sounds like you are moving in a great direction! I’m going to start using the unstuck mantra now that I’ve seen the results for you and Cat! :)

• September 14, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Kelly: I loved that mantra. It will work wonders. Also, I should be able to call you today after work! :)

2. September 14, 2011 at 9:41 am #

I am so excited for you, Rose! It seemed like quite the decision – though I’m not surprised that you had more than one amazing opportunity thrown your way. :) I have no doubt that you will do amazing things at your new job. It sounds perfect for you! Congratulations!

3. September 14, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Love this metaphor! So exciting!

4. September 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

I’m so excited for you Rose! I fully understand the complexity of your decision. There’s comfort and safety in sticking with your job, plus you already know you enjoy non-profit. But challenge, and chocolate chips, will bring so much to your life! I am SO happy to read this! It is your passion, I can tell.

• September 17, 2011 at 10:45 am #

What Susan said. Seriously – great decision lovie

5. September 14, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

I left my last job a little over a year ago and, for the majority, I loved my co-workers there. But I knew that there was little growth opportunity so I left. I am not particularly close to my co-workers at my new job (save for a woman who I was already friends with) which is different and sometimes not nearly as fun, but in terms of learning new things and challenging myself, I don’t regret taking the job.

Umm, I would like to get a job like yours though. What sort of experience do you think you need to have?

6. seedy
    September 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

So excited for you, Rose!!

7. September 14, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Oh Congrats Rose! I am right there with you, I’m currently in a stitch because I’m a bit tired of my current job, though it pays well, I love where I live and I still love what I do. But there is another position I found, that is way more where I want to go in my life with my job. I don’t know the pay yet, but we’ll see if and when I apply. Oiy.

But congrats! I think challenging yourself is one of the best things for our mentalities! Helps keep us fresh and going!

8. September 14, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

I love the way you tie life and food together. The two are more closely related than most of us think about. I can’t wait to see what edibles combine in your next life!

9. September 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Congrats on the new job!!

10. Cathy
    September 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Congratulations on the new job! I am so proud of you! I want that banana bread so bad!

11. Maria
    September 16, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Congratulations, Rose! I know that it can be hard to leave when you really love the people, but you’re right. When a career train is in the station and you can’t know when the next one will come, you made the right choice to get on board!

Oh and yeah, that banana bread is making my oatmeal this morning look like gruel. Thanks.