cleveland: not as bad as you’d think

Both the boyfriend I were raised to think lesser of Cleveland. It’s no Pittsburgh, they said. The sports teams are a joke, they said. Insert some other facts about violence and murder rates. And so, I’ve grown up most of my life not wanting to visit Cleveland. I was there once, as a child, for a Browns vs. Steelers game. You can imagine what colors I was wearing. I have some relatives from there, and the rivalry just never dies. But this trip to Ohio, there were no team colors. There were no tailgates or yelling at referees. There was just me, the boyfriend and a new city to explore. We purposefully planned a trip in which we were: 1) not visiting any relatives, 2) not meeting any bloggers (sorry, . next time, I promise!), and 3) able to arrive and leave whenever we wanted.

Because this was a private (romantic) day-date, I am going to keep some of the details to myself. Privacy is important, people. Let’s just say we had a fantastic time both in and outside of the

I also fell in love with a bird in flight. I still can’t believe I captured this on (digital) film.

The highlight of the trip was embarking upon Little Italy and eating at the oldest Italian restaurant in Cleveland. If you’re ever in the area, visit this place. We ate dinner while listening to a live piano player and seeing a magician do tricks. It’s the reddish place on the right.

Go here:

I’m sticking with this motto: Cleveland: Not as Bad as You’d Think. We’re living proof.

Categories: Thoughtful

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “cleveland: not as bad as you’d think”

1. November 8, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! My boyfriend and I went to the Hall of Fame last year for a day date, I think we even posed in the same place!

2. November 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

I’m happy to hear you had a nice day date. I don’t know much about Cleveland, but your pictures are nice! (especially enjoy the bird one.)

3. November 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Hooray! I lived in Cleveland for 8 years growing up…I have a soft spot for that city :)

Glad you both enjoyed it!

4. November 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

One of my new friends here is from Cleveland. I haven’t ever been there, but I always love checking out a new city!

5. November 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

GAH!!!!!!!!!! That’s okay – I totally understand your line of reasoning! :) I’m pretty partial if ya haven’t noticed so I like your feelings so far! :) Looks like you’ll just need to come visit again and let me show you the ropes! ;)

(hehe – I did like the shout out because as soon as I read the title, I was all “what-huh!?!?!” :) )

6. November 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

No place is ever as bad as you think <– and being that I'm me, I believe it :) . So glad you had a nice day trip! I have yet to go to Cleveland.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks