what 21 hours in philly taught me

Here is a letter I’m writing to myself to remember what I’ve learned from my short stint in Philadelphia:

Dear Rose:

1. Philadelphia is actually quite lovely. Especially at night and more especially with friends. It is also a place for nostalgia. You stood under these lights once before (years ago) and bared your soul to someone. Don’t you remember?

2. The tiniest of theaters are the best of theaters.  There’s no reason not to give yourself an opportunity to laugh, for a change. Even more so by old friends who you used to watch in comedy shows in the past. College meets present. Your melancholy meets slapstick. All for $15 and 1.5 hours in a crowded space. The money is worth it. The company is priceless.

3. Mustaches can be made – and worn – on any occasion, by any person. Even on a graffiti smiley face. Always remember how long it took you to take this photo. Or rather, how long it took your friends to act serious and wear those ‘staches.

4. Heart-to-hearts with your old friend Sam will never get old. He will continue to give you reasons to make fun of him throughout the ages, this time: the spiffy white coat his mother bought. You’re surprised it doesn’t get dirty.

5. Even though you’ve now been out of school longer than you were in it, these people will always remain near your heart. There’s no breaking a connection like that. They watched you grow up, and you – them.

It may have only been 21 hours. It may have been 12 hours in the car. But it was totally and completely worth it.

xoxo.

Categories:

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

8 Comments on “what 21 hours in philly taught me”

1. November 15, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

I love the mustache pictures. So fun. I feel similar feelings when going home to my college town. I get something new out of it every time, but there’s still always that feeling of nostalgia and appreciation that permeates through it all.

• November 16, 2011 at 10:16 am #

It’s such a beautiful thing. Nothing quite like it, really.

2. November 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Sooo, who got sick?

• November 16, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Haha. You’re awesome. Cat did! Though she’s better now. 24 hour cold.

3. November 16, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Whenever I come home from visiting my college city- Boston and/or my college friends, I feel sad for a little while because I miss them and being there for college so much. It’s amazing to have college friends though- most of mine, I can just pick right back up where we left off. Glad you had such a great time.

• November 16, 2011 at 10:17 am #

I know what you mean! I feel a little sad too. But thankfully, we all seem to be back in PA in some respect, which is nice. I hope you get to see your Boston friends again soon!

4. November 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

I’ve never been to Philly. This makes me quite sad. This side of the coast is lovely and all but I need to venture out.

Love the ‘staches. My dad rocks one and they never fail to make me laugh.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks