- 1 lb. ground beef, turkey or meat substitute of your choice
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 10 swiss chard leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- fresh basil, oregano, salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (watered down)
- cheese of your choice (optional)
1. Brown your meat. While that is cooking, do yourself a favor and multitask: boil a large pot of salted water (for your chard leaves). Cook your rice as directed simultaneously.
2. When the meat is browned, add your spices, the egg and the milk. Stir. Add in your cheese if you’ve decided to do so.
3. Boil the swiss chard leaves for three minutes, or until they are softened. Be careful not to overcook.
4. Place one spoonful of the mixture in each leaf, and wrap. Place in a large casserole dish.
5. Once all the rolls are placed, cover with your watered-down sauce. Add cheese to the top, if you’d like.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.