I’m giving myself an A for effort with bean burgers. I’ve been working on perfecting the perfect veggie burger for nearly three years. I still haven’t gotten there yet, but each time I do feel a little bit closer.
This was an experiment from start to finish. Sort of like my life. Yes. I just mixed a bunch of things together to see what would happen, and something did take shape. It was certainly the colors I expected but not the consistency. Hum. Just like my life. Weird.
These were incredibly hearty. A superfood burger, if you will. The main culprits being kale, red kidney beans and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. I feel like I could run a marathon now. Or maybe I need a nap? I can’t tell the difference anymore.
Try for yourself.
- 1 c. red kidney beans, blended in processor
- 2 c. green kale, finely chopped in processor
- 1/4 c. sunflower seeds, chopped in processor
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic (one piece of a bulb – that’s a clove, right?)
- fresh basil
- fresh oregano
- salt, pepper
1. Mush up your beans.
2. Chop up your kale, then add it to the beans.
3. Mix together the seeds, garlic and herbs in the processor. Then add those to your mixture.
4. Add breadcrumbs. You may need more or less, depending on what you like.
5. Add salt/pepper to taste.
6. Form into patties. Grill on an oiled skillet for about 5-7 minutes.